8.01.2011

Of Heat and Lighting (Daytwo)

I've just had a mental argument about the benefit of getting up to get my headphones. I really wanted them, but my actual ability to move my feet was a concern I had. Instead I just waited for someone to walk by so I could ask them to lend a hand.

Today is HOT. 91 degrees as I write this, but I can guarantee that it feels hotter when you're directly in the sun and working above your head. I can complain all I want, but the fact of the matter is that if it wasn't a thousand degrees at the park it would be one of the better days I've ever spent.

I slept in this morning, for the sole purpose that I didn't have a strong enough will to get up at 6. 6:40 was well enough for me. With no purpose for a shower, I could just get up and hobble over to the Nest for my morning Cheerios, and white nectarine. (P.s. the fruit here? oh holy batman. SO AMAZING. Fowler is a huge cropping culture, so it's fresh and YUMMY.) I entered the nest, only to have Paula, the supervisor of everything, run past. Our technical supervisor had hit his head, and had to be whisked off to the hospital in an ambulance to get 5 staples.

After that morning drama, I drove myself over to the park, and started hanging lights. Really one of the main things that's obvious to me is that I don't know anything about anything really. There is so much information to be learned from the lighting designer, and I've been trying to soak it all up. Source 4s, Parkhans, yoking, boom degree, cross arms- the list of things I don't know goes on and on. Really though, all in all the work today hasn't been bad. Long and tedious, but the worst of it is when you're balanced on a ladder working above your head. Nothing a little "don't look down" and stretch can't take care of.

I've still got a 6 o'clock call, and my boss, Matt, got here at lunch time. This basically means that I have to somehow tell him I have no clue how to run a sound board for a play, and learn. :) We hopefully will begin focusing lights at the end of tomorrow. And then things start happening really fast. We open in 12 days, and no sound is in, and we're about 20% don't with lights. The actors haven't even seen the venue.

But I'm excited. There isn't any time here to sit around and learn. There is time to do. Which I think is how the world should function. And sure, I'm sleepy, sore, and the heat here rivals the heat of Hell. But that's life. And at least today will be remembered.

I love and miss you all.

Stay lovely,
Willie Mae

(p.s. I think I'm switching back to Willie Mae. Funky, huh?)


The crazy scaffolding that we climb up every day. Up there in this picture is Leo, and Charlie, hanging spot lights on the top. The middle platform is probably where I'll be with the sound board and Nikki, our stage manager.


Our lovely units, weighing in at about 35 lbs. Whew! thank goodness we're done with that part of our day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home